Fitch Services offers air conditioner maintenance and repair because we know that with proper maintenance, your air conditioner should last about 15 years. You can keep your system running efficiently with these easy tips:
- Check all hose connections for leaks and make sure the condensate tube is draining freely.
- Change or clean the furnace filter once a month to maintain indoor air quality. This is especially important during the summer when dust and allergens circulate.
- Clean the outside compressor by spraying it with a hose.
- Keep plantings at least one foot away for adequate airflow around the entire unit.
- Vacuum registers and air vents regularly.
- Have your ductwork professionally cleaned every few years.
- Keep furniture and drapes away from registers.
- During the winter, keep the compressor covered and remove window air conditioners.
While you’re working around your air conditioner, be sure to shut off the power at the service panel before you start.
It is also important to have your air conditioning system inspected by a professional service technician. Heating and Cooling seasonal servicing can reduce your cooling costs by five percent.
Cooling without an air conditioner
Of course, the best way to prolong the life of your air conditioner is to never use it. There are lots of easy ways to keep your cool without losing your cash:
- Plant a tree – it’s the best cooling investment your can make.
- Use floor or ceiling fans to help circulate air throughout the house.
- Install a whole-house fan – it can lower the indoor temperature by ten degrees in just a few minutes.
- Make sure your attic is properly ventilated, especially if you have good insulation. A combination of ridge and soffit or gable vents can help reduce cooling costs by ten percent.
- Shade south- and west-facing windows with blinds or drapes during the hottest parts of the day.
Turn off lights you don’t need.
- Wait to use heat-producing appliances like ovens, dishwashers and clothes dryers until late evening.