Our certified electricians can install and repair electrical fixtures in your house such as lighting, receptacles, ceiling fans, GFCI receptacles, inspection, circuit panels, trouble shooting, and more. Nearly everyone has come across an electrical receptacle that doesn’t work as well as it should or one that doesn’t work at all – we can help with that too.
Circuits Installation & Repair Power is distributed through your house through various electrical circuits that start in the main entrance panel. The 110-120-volt circuits have two conductors — one neutral (white) wire and one hot (black) wire. The 220-240-volt circuits may have two hot wires alone or a third, neutral wire may be added. In all cases, the hot lines are attached directly to the hot main buses. The neutral wire is always connected to the ground bus and never, under any circumstances, should it pass through a fuse or circuit breaker.
Fuses and circuit breakers are safety devices built into your electrical system. If there were no fuses or circuit breakers and you operated too many appliances on a single circuit, the cable carrying the power for that circuit would get extremely hot, short circuit, and possibly start a fire.
To prevent electrical overloads, circuit breakers and fuses are designed to trip or blow, stopping the flow of current to the overloaded cable. For example, a 15-ampere circuit breaker should trip when the current through it exceeds 15 amperes. A 20-ampere fuse should blow when the current through it exceeds 20 amps.
A fuse that blows or a circuit breaker that trips is not faulty; it is doing its job properly, indicating that there is trouble somewhere in the circuit. A blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker usually means there are too many appliances plugged in to that circuit or some malfunctioning device, like an appliance with an internal short, is connected to the circuit. Locate and eliminate the cause of the trouble before replacing a blown fuse or resetting a tripped circuit breaker.
Receptacles Installation & Repair An electrical receptacle can be permanently damaged through improper use. Sticking a hairpin or a paper clip in it, for example, can shorten a receptacle’s — and your — life. You may never do anything as foolish as sticking a paper clip in an electrical receptacle, but you can do the same damage when you plug in an appliance with a short circuit.
Regardless of how the damage occurred, the damaged electrical receptacle must be replaced. Another possible explanation for an electrical receptacle that doesn’t work efficiently and safely is that it is just so old and has been used so often that it’s worn out.
There are two clear indications of a worn-out electrical receptacle: the cord’s weight pulls the plug out of the receptacle or the plug blades do not make constant electrical contact within the receptacle slots. At that point, the old electrical receptacle should be replaced.