Whether you’re hosting guests or will be away from home, follow these DOs and DON’Ts to prevent holiday plumbing emergencies and service calls.
Avoid These Common Kitchen Culprits
In the kitchen, properly using your sink drain and disposal will go a long way in preventing holiday plumbing emergencies. Of course, appropriate disposal usage applies all year, but it can be crucial when it’s working overtime during the holidays!
- DON’T pour fatty or oily substances down your drain; they can solidify in your pipes and cause clogging. DO pour oil and grease into an empty jar and dispose of it in your garbage.
- DO ensure the disposal runs before you try to use it; DON’T stuff food in the drain before turning it on.
- DON’T put stringy produce, especially celery, in the disposal. DO put it in the compost bin or trash can.
- DO run the disposal every time you put something in. DON’T allow food to build up and jam the disposal.
Protect Your Water System, Drains and Plumbing
Extra people in your home means more folks taking showers, flushing toilets, and running the washing machine. The additional activity can burden your water system, drains, and plumbing. Prevent those types of holiday plumbing emergencies by doing the following:
- DO wait 10 or 15 minutes between showers to reduce the chance of overflowing shower drains.
- DO install a screen on shower drains to catch hair before it goes down the drain, where it can clog the pipes.
- DO provide a trashcan in every bathroom; DON’T use your toilets for any products except toilet paper.
- DO run the dishwasher and washing machine at night to reduce the load on your water lines and improve water pressure for other uses.
Prevent Plumbing Emergencies While You Are Away
Don’t think you’re off the hook if you won’t be home for the holidays. Even worse than having a holiday plumbing emergency when you’re home is having one when you’re not!
- DO keep your heat set to at least 55 degrees to avoid frozen pipes.
- DO turn off the main water in the house to reduce the chance of any unexpected leaks. Water moves quickly, and even a tiny leak can wreak havoc on an unoccupied house.
Keep Our Phone Number Nearby
Give us a call at (434) 296-9980, and our on-call plumber will respond quickly to resolve your plumbing problems so you can continue to enjoy your holiday!