A programmable thermostat can reduce your heating and cooling costs 10% a year.
Why Heat or Cool an Empty House?
Stop wasting money to blast warm air in your house when nobody is home. Instead, program your thermostat to warm your house just before your arrival!
If you’re ready for the savings and comfort of a programmable thermostat, here’s what to consider when choosing a model that’s best for your household.
- What type of heating/cooling system do you currently have? Some systems require specially designed programmable thermostats, so it’s critical to be sure you’re choosing a model that pairs with your current heating/cooling units. Considerations may include: type of heating/cooling system, one- or two-stage systems, voltage, and existing wiring.
- What type of schedule do you need? You can choose from models that offer a 7-day program (a different schedule each day of the week) and 5-2 or 5-1-1 models that provide weekday-weekend schedules. If everyone is out of the house for weekday work hours, a 5-2 or 5-1-1 model may be fine; if everyone is coming and going at different times every day of the week, it’s probably best to go with a 7-day option.
- What level of technology are you comfortable with?
- Do you want to set the schedule, or let the device ‘learn’ your schedule? There are ‘smart’ devices available that follow a schedule that they learn based on your actual use and preferences. Some of these even pair with your phone and location – allowing them to automatically adjust the temperature when you leave the house!
- Will you use wifi or remote programming functions? Several models on the market today allow you to adjust the temperature or the schedule from your phone. Some models work with smart-home technologies such as Amazon Echo or Google Home, so you can tell your smart device to adjust the temperature without ever leaving the couch!
Save up to 10% on Your Annual Energy Costs
Once your programmable thermostat is installed, make sure it is programmed for the most efficient settings. According to Energy Saver, the US Department of Energy resource for consumers on energy savings, you can save up to 10% annually just by adjusting the temperature by 7-10 degrees for eight hours a day – those are hours that you’re probably at work or asleep anyway!
Time to Install a Programmable Thermostat
Programmable thermostats ensure that your house will be comfortable when you’re home while not wasting money when you’re not. If your home does not already have a programmable thermostat, now is a great time to install one.
Take advantage of free time during the holiday season and a little of that holiday gift money to buy a programmable thermostat that will meet your family’s needs. Or in Charlottesville, contact Fitch Services to help you choose your new thermostat.
Charlottesville Area Residents:
Depending on the type of heating and cooling system you have, it can be tricky to install a programmable thermostat. Inadvertently cross a few wires, and you may find yourself blasting your air conditioner in the middle of a polar vortex! Save yourself the hassle and headache by contacting Fitch Services to take care of the installation for you! We’ll also help you choose a thermostat that will work with your HVAC system and provide the scheduling flexibility you require.